Discovering more surely how I am constantly embraced in Gods forgiving, freeing and renewing love.
Preparing for the period of prayer
1. I consciously bring myself into the presence and loving gaze of God. I keep in mind that God looks upon me with longing, and I ask for Gods blessing on my efforts at this prayer.
2. Then, I compose myself in my real world. I consider how I live surrounded by conflict, violence and anger, in a deteriorating environment steeped in self-deception, untruth, and error, marred by poverty, hunger, terrorism and war. I have to make my way through all this.
3. And now I ask of God what I yearn for, the grace/desire for today: That God will continue to reveal to me the enormity of the mystery of sin so that I seek more and more to surrender into the forgiving and renewing love of God.
4. I address this prayer of desire, first to God the Father, then to Mary, the mother of Jesus, then to Jesus, himself. Or,
5. I address this prayer of desire, first to God the Source of Life, then to God the Source of Wisdom and Goodness, then to God Creator and Comforter.
6. Then read slowing, Romans 5:6-11 Jesus died for us in our sin; we can trust Him.
7. Continue below.
During This Period of Prayer
I read slowly, the material below, asking God to help me notice, with Gods eyes, the movements that stir within me. And I talk with God about what I notice.
Jesus pulled his legs free. The rusty nails that held his feet captive fell clanking below the cross. It was not difficult now to free his left hand, then the right one. He slid easily down from the full-size wooden cross in the sanctuary of an inner-city church in
Next he walked into the adjoining parish hall. He passed by Catherine Coombs of the altar guild who fainted. Jesus washed in the mens room he got the blood off his body and left the building, walking toward the citys hub,
It was a hot day, so he felt okay in his loincloth.
Jesus had a bit more difficulty disengaging himself from a gold processional cross in an East Side church in Manhattan, yet within just a few moments he was free
[Jesus] headed south toward
It was inside a church in
It was 3:45 p.m. when Clara Morris stopped off for a moment of prayer in a church on
Twelve hours later inside a church in
So people began to see.
I consider with God other, contemporary images, similar to the above, that touch my own life world. I converse with God about the interior movements that this stirs in my heart.
Concluding this Prayer
Then I make my colloquy with Jesus on His cross, letting the three questions rise in me:
What have I done for Christ?
What am I doing for Christ?
What ought I do for Christ?
End with the Lords Prayer. ♦